Sunday, October 18, 2009

Before Surgery & Thoughts & Some Pics


They totally did the "slow motion run to each other across the grass and hug" move and I didn't have the camera on video mode.

Here Milana! You Kick Like This!!

This is one of my favorites because it looks like Kole is pulling Milana's hair. He is actually explaining the dynamics of "how to do a jedi force punch." I'm not sure if he made this move up or not.


Oh! My Bubbles!

Are you not turtle-y enough for the turtle club?
Before surgery. I often wonder what she can see. I once asked her and pointed, "Is this the eye you are looking at me with?" She jumped and then laughed and said yes.
Thank you Sarah for the lemonade dress... this child definitely makes lovely life lemonade. P.S.Milana really likes to point and ask for this dress almost everyday.

Today is a choking back the tears day. Tomorrow, Milana's eye muscles for her strabismus will be repositioned. Four months ago tomorrow, Milana walked off a plane, onto American soil, and into our home and hearts. I have seen such growth from all of us. Some tremendous amounts of patience has grown from a tree we didn't know existed. Some more buds of patience continue to grow. A tree of deep soul-searching and deep unconditional love is growing from each of us in different ways and amazingly at different rates. When one of us is weak, the others carry the weight to keep the family going, and most often the person who is faltering. The enrichment this little one has given our lives is something special. It's funny how perspective can give you a heavy dose of what is real and what is your reality.

Perspective. Today, I am quite a bit more patient with the children. Knowing of the surgery to come can do that. I will wake up tomorrow at 5 am, off to the surgery center at 6 am, surgery is at 7:30. I will bundle a still sleeping Milana who I have told about the surgery, shown pictures, and role played a little, but she is still a very oblivious little one who trusts me so much to protect her. I am nervous about her being scared most of all. I am going to ask them to give her a sedative before they separate us... I think it's more for me. Will I feel this way tomorrow? Scared, nervous, hopeful and strangely calm that we will have a helpful outcome.Don't know. I know I won't feel this way even months from now. That's perspective. Hindsight. Life.

That's what happens. I know that I have been guilty of not having fresh perspective, when my nerves are worn and the children are "extra exploratory with brain challenges". This life is all about learning. Tomorrow, my world will not be black and white as a memory or photo, but in full action color. I must love this little girl because man, my heart is breaking a bit. I know it is important for her to have this surgery, but when you are the one experiencing the helplessness of letting others do work on your child, whew... self-restraint and composure... where are you. Wish us well, keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Funny, I know my family is strong-willed which I think I may hold the crown... often to prevent mutiny, I must remember to breathe and let life be. As strong willed as Milana is, I have always been told by my mother, You must be stronger. But I know when it comes to coping skills, Milana has us all beat. I stand amazed at her strength to endure. I am often reminded by Donnie when I worry about her, "She can handle it. She is a tough girl." So tomorrow, she will be fine, I will have been have been taught another lesson in life by my two-year old. Everything you need to know in life, your children will teach you.

13 comments:

The Family K. said...

Who can blame your for pre-operative jitters? Sometimes I wonder if the anticipation is worse for the loved ones than for the patient. Just keep telling yourself the end goal is good. Milana is a tough girl who has an equally tough mom cheering for her. And of course, we're all rooting for her, too.

lorabelle said...

Keeping you and family in my thoughts sweetie! All will go well and she will be just fine. Please keep us posted and let us know how things go. I really enjoyed your post because once again you made me stop and think about slowing down and appreciating the craziness. We've got it here too for sure! Not a day goes by that I wish things were different either! ((HUGS))!

Expecting Good Things said...

I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow. I know everything will go great. These pics are great. It really shows how happy she is. My fav pic is the 4th from the last. :)
Holli

Jen said...

Sara,
I definitely have you all in my prayers and I know everything will be fine. I think it is certainly worse for the mama then for the child when it comes to things like this. I know it's hard to think about putting your child (your heart) in someone elses hands but it will all be alright. I totally agree with Holli, Milana looks sooooo happy in these pictures!

Take care,
Jen

Sarah said...

Ug. Hard stuff for Mama tomorrow. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers. Be sure to tell us how things went when you have a few seconds.

Love the lemons! :) I'm so glad that she likes it!

Sarah said...

Oh, had to add... I picked that because I always knew that you were a "making lemonade out of lemons" kinda girl. :)

Steve n Coco said...

God bless you, dear friend. I'm praying for you right now.

Be blessed,
Courtney
p.s. you just reminded me!! I saw that lemon fabric at the fabric store and I DESPERATELY want to get some to make a dress for Lily! So cute!

momwithfaithandhope said...

The hardest part about being a Mama for me is worrying when I know I need to put it all in God's hands. You're right - Milana is one tough cookie and kids definitely deserve the credit for teaching us!!! Praying for Milana's surgery, her recovery, and also for you my friend!

The pictures capture the sheer joy of your kids! Milana fits right in. Can't believe it's been only 4 short months!

Lisa said...

Sending thoughts, wishes and prayers your way. I didn't realize this day had crept so close, but in my heart I believe in a wonderful outcome! Imagine the first time she can see with the full strength of her vision....oh the magic that will be!

But this is hard.....hard stuff for a Mama....hard stuff for a tiny but brave little girl! She truly does sound amazing and fits right in with her amazing family!

The pictures are beautiful!

Hugs!! Lisa

QingLu Mama said...

Oh Sara, you and Milana are in my thoughts and prayers today. I cannot imagine how hard this must be for you...
You are one strong woman and Milana will feel that strengh and sureness from you.
And I love your thoughts about your family, just beautifully written.
Again, I'll be thinking of you.
Jennifer

BabyBain said...

We are thinking of you all. We hope and pray all went well.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Just wanted to touch base. HOW did things go??? Prayin for yall

HUGS
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogpspot.com

The Family K. said...

Hey there, lady,

How'd everything go with the surgery? I've been thinking of you guys...

- Judy K.