Sunday, October 11, 2009

So I Was Wrong and the Sickness Ain't Gone













Give me an "S". Give me a "W". Give me an "I", give me an "N" give me an "E" and come here SOOO WEEE. That gastro stuff in the Southern post was the beginnings of H1N1. We're alright. In fact the kids have been the best. Milana was the least sick of all, which makes me wonder if this flu actually was around a lot longer than they are saying and she had it in Taiwan. She barely got gastro and barely got weak and less hungry 2 days. Donnie and I were beat down with the sick stick the last month pretty much. We're suspected the swine flu but didn't get tested and just kept plugging along until we ran into our old neighbor who works for our Pediatrics offices. She's had it for a month too and we basically laughed and commiserated over our misfortunate (spell check says I made up misfortunate) symptoms. She was tested and she is positive we have it.

All in all, we didn't get it too badly... we have all the symptoms they posted on the websites with a few of the (you should rush to the dr. immediately ones), like hubby wheezing. I was more annoyed with the sucker because life keeps going and so do my well kids. Mostly, we were insanely sleepy and lethargic. Headaches that were cruel punishment came out of nowhere and this evil pain in my neck couldn't be controlled by any pain meds I had. I had to start drinking a 1/4 RockStar for the headache and to actually care for kids instead of just zone out with meat defrosting in my hand while I made lunch. It's a bit brutal with the "keeps on coming back" factor but I've seen some nasty sicknesses and I wouldn't label this the worst...knock on word and say a prayer. This thing isn't over yet, but we are doing better each day. Yesterday was yucky... today will be better... I'm determined.

Catching up: Milana received her results a bit back about her kidneys. No Surgery!!! She does have a bladder that is twice the size of a child's her age, which the doctor (who is Chinese) believes was caused by prematurely potty-training a bladder that wasn't ready (it is more Chinese custom to potty-train early... which for Milana being a preemie... wasn't medically appropriate). She doesn't have much feeling anymore because of how she was taught to hold it, so we have to teach her to relax her bladder muscles. Poor thing has an involuntary shiver as the sign she has to go. But we are thankful she doesn't have reflux. We are in the monitoring stage.

Her eye surgery is next Monday. She will have 4 eyes muscles relocated at 7:30 a.m. I am trying not to get nervous... trying to stay calm and so thankful I don't have to worry about the flu attacking us right before her surgery.

Nika made Honor Choir at her school which I am so pleased she tried out. Even if she didn't make it, I know how hard auditions are so I am sooo tickled pink that she did it. She loves choir... even if it means off to school an hour earlier.
Kole is a reading maniac! The teacher says he is at a 2nd/3rd grade level. I went to school Friday to help (yes, my sickness is on a loll and I can control the symptoms with no harm to anyone) and these 4th graders came in to read to the K's. I hear the teachers say, "Oh my that's perfect" as they lead Kole to his 4th grader, a tall fair sweet Spanish only speaking child. So here you have this picture of a small Kindergarten student reading and explaining about fire safety to this older child, hunched over intently devouring everything Kole says with amazement. Then Kole preceded to take him by the hand and lead him around the room talking and pointing to all the colors and words around the K room! Perfect for both of them. Now, I'm contemplating asking to tutor this young man as he has zero English comprehension.
Jadyn is just absorbing Milana. Although Jadyn's speech has reverted a little, she and Milana are doing well as they are the ones not at school. Jadyn is starting to learn to read and we are working on writing letters as well. Milana doesn't want to be left out at all so she is full-force absorbing everything! Literally! She's starting sentences. Ok, so I may be the only one understanding her, but I LOVE it. I'm writing about both at once, because they have this love/dislike thing going but they always like to be together. I do make Jadyn have alone time though as you can tell once she is there... she is relishing it.

Milana had her Early Childhood assessment and ... she doesn't qualify! 2 months ago when I made the appt.... she definitely needed therapy. Now, after 2 months of English language, American culture, 3 rowdy kids and 2 parents at her beck and call... she is on target with a small delay in gross skills which I have tips on how to work with. She is at 27 to 30 months. Her actual age is 29 months. I will test her again at age 3 in case her sounds are not coming in the way we'd like to hear or in case her gross motor skills stall, but until then, we just keeping doing what we're doing because I guess it's working?! Alot is her and alot is that she is extremely bright and didn't have much exposure (the therapists think so).

Oh and we had our post-placement about a month and a half ago too. Milana was on her best best behavior which surprised me and I had to tell the social worker that. The social worker thought that she is always super well-behaved which made me laugh. She is a sweet girl and wants to behave, but wanting and doing are two different things. ;0) I think all went well as we don't get the report in this state. Our agency seemed content, so I guess all is well. Mostly, you just tell them how things are going and background info.

Well, gotta go... I hear the elephants stampeding above me as they wake up for the day. Pictures will be soon.


Ok, so I had to go back and add pictures because I just realized my 11 yr first date anniversary just passed by and hubby and I were so busy, we missed it! We've been making sure to still get our date night... small as it may be at times. HaPpY AnNiVeRsArY Love! On Halloween, he asked me to marry him... well it was pretty funny because it was a surprise on both our parts... we hadn't planned it at all. It was Halloween and he told me he wanted to be with me forever. I asked, with a brow furrow, "Uh did you just ask me to marry you?" His answer, "I think I did." My answer, "Ok". The next day... I asked... were you serious? 8 months later, we were married. 11 yrs, four kids later... absolutely inseparably meant to be. Crazy people in Love. And yeah, if you do the math... decided to get married in less than a month. ha ha Met on a blind date years earlier but I was on one with his best friend (who hit me with a four-wheeler that day... yeah, date not so good). Thank goodness for that date.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIt5lGhFyE0

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Sara!

Happy Anniversary! Hope you all feel better soon. . .glad Milana is doing so well. I will be praying for her eye surgery to go well. I love the pictures! We have been home with our little guy three weeks and things are going well. Bedtime is crazy now that we are out-numbered, and I am avoiding grocery shopping until I figure out how to manage three kids in the store...I am open to any advice!

Cindy
http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Thanks for the newsy note :) and all the pics :) Glad the piggy flu is departing nad did not do any major damage at your house!

hugs
Tami
BELIEIVNG IN FAITH for God to provide the funds to bring Jeremiah home quickly!
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

momwithfaithandhope said...

So good to read an update on the whole clan. Sorry to hear you've been hit hard with the bug. Boy, Milana is one tough cookie!

So much to celebrate and so much to praise God for! Get better FAST - I saw a GIANT pumkin in your kitchen which means costumes are next before the big bird and the ornaments come out shortly thereafter. Becoming a Mama to 3 has taught me to take notes from Mama's to 4. . .Rockstar is it? Is that the trick? Hugs

The Family K. said...

So much to comment on... where do I begin? Wow. You guys don't mess around when it comes to getting it sick. At least you're doing it in style and in unison. (Um... trying to put a bright spin on it...)

Those kids of yours have some big brains inside of their little heads. And of course Nika would have some good pipes. Look at her genes! Praying Milana's eye surgery goes well. Do keep us posted as you're able. And finally, happy dating anniversary to you two. You make a great team.

MommytoAJ4 said...

Pretty sure this is my first comment, but I love reading your blog. I just wanted to share that I had the same eye surgery when I was seven. That was 23 years ago. It was very easy and easy recovery. Will be praying it goes well for your little one!

lorabelle said...

Oh Man I'm so sorry you've been hit with that darn flu! You guys are just plain troopers around there! Hope its over soon and you get a break. This is all wonderful news about the kids! It sounds like everyone has adjusted so well and have just taken off and continued on as usual. Your family and parenting skill must truly rock Sara. Maybe it's that rock star drink? I'm going to go get some now, LOL!
Hope that Milana's surgery goes well. I'll be thinking about you guys.

Steve n Coco said...

Ugh. I'm so sorry that you have had such a miserable autumn so far. Praying it all goes away NOW!

So nice to hear the updates. You've got a busy household, but it sounds like everyone is doing so well.

Thanks for all your support with LilyJoy. I so appreciate it. I'll be praying for you and Milana next monday!

Shirley H. said...

Happy Belated Anniversary! Hope all of you feel better and get well!

Expecting Good Things said...

Hope you all feel better! Great pictures. Looks like things are going well. Happy Anniversary! Our 11th is today! :)
Holli