Saturday, October 31, 2009

Post Surgery Updates

Yes, I know... how dare I make everyone worry about us... two weeks almost. Many excuses: waiting for the doctor check up to say a-ok (no counting chickens before hatched here), busy with a newly eye-sighted child (that's a major part) and life must go on... never slows down here. The reason: I just didn't do it. I apologize.

We have EYESIGHT! She is so excited to have her "new eyes"... and "eyes all better now" my favorite, "eyes no owie, all better, thank you." She is doing everything she couldn't do before as fast as she can as often as she can. First order of business was twirling ... lots and lots of twirling.
Well, actually the first order was to make sure Nika, Kole, Jadyn, Daddy were all still here. She was scared going in to the center because the girl knows what's up. She glared at nurses plenty but cooperated. After she was dressed (lovely nurses let her keep her pj bottoms on... Kole's ear surgery... different story), she went with Grandma and I to a child's room where she played with a wagon of toys. That was some serious fun in her book. Then I gave the camera to her and she snapped away until the anesthesiologist came in and ordered up the Versed. Translates to very loopy child with sedative (drunk) behavior and no short term memory. Kinda funny to watch and lightens the mood when your child is stumbling around mumbling abc's. I was sooo grateful she still was speaking in English and still remembered everyone. That was an odd fear of mine.

Off she went groggy; we walked her to the double doors where she parted with the OR nurse and mumbled "bye"... half way down the hall... Versed can't stop her! She realized that is not a proper goodbye and screamed at the top of her lungs down the hall, "BYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEE!!!!" I yelled back "bye" as all the nurses giggled. 1.5 hrs later, "She's crying for ya." I can hear her as I near the door and she's calling for mama. Yeah! She still speaks English and remembers me. She snuggled into my arms and just settled down to try and wake up.

As soon as she was home, she wanted to be ready to go but the darn meds, just made her so tired. That didn't stop her from trying. Hardly any blood in her tears and she was EXTREMELY obedient about not rubbing her eyes... crazy will-power.

All at once, she could see, she was so excited to point everything she hadn't really gotten to see. She ran around the house (as best she could and also for the next couple days), just excited. The best part: She looks me in the eyes and her countenance changes. A small tweak of the face to reveal a soft smile when I look at her... not a blank searching, trying to put images together. This is something your children do and I never noticed it fully until Milana. It is a HUGE forgotten gift and blessing. As I put her in the car for her first car ride after surgery, she stopped and studied my face and ran her fingers along my cheek and jaw slowly and then met my eyes... and then smiled and giggled. I have not had that yet and wow, pretty powerful stuff.

After this honeymoon period, she wised up and even though she couldn't figure out what had happened, she knew something had happened that wasn't fun. She kinda reverted here and there with behaviors, words, temperament, while she processed feelings. Now, she's all back and then some. Having her eye surgery has not only given her sight, it has helped us get past almost everything that has been a struggle for all of us. It was like overnight she just totally said to herself, I am part of this family.

Yesterday, we went to the doctor to check and everything is healing beautifully. Her eyes are just a tiny flick out (which is good because you don't want them in). The doc says only he would notice this and he also said it's not often. She has completely memorized his doc routine. Lately after surgery, she's had one night accident and one day... I figure still processing everything. Stress can wreak havoc on ya. Yesterday, we went to the park and this is the first time I've ever actually seen her enjoy the park. Donnie said all this in one sentence, "She is very enjoyable." Enjoyable... this really has been and she most definitely is. The other children are thrilled to have her seeing as well... and oh my stress levels have seriously dropped. I ran around crazy scared that she was going to eat it down stairs, off curbs, chairs, slides... etc. We are soo glad you can see, wo de bao bei. Daddy calls her little Ni Hao. hee hee Donnie also yells out kai shing! at odd times or asks her if she is. She always giggles. The one word she has kept as never interchangeable... wo chi... my foot.... oh I love those wo chi's.
She was ready to cruise outta there with that wagon.
She's LOVES her wo chi's. Not bad focusing for being two!
She took this of me and then laughed with approval.

Grandma just gave her Minnie and now she's in LOVE with anything Minnie and even sings "It's the Minnie Mouse Clubhouse." Mickey, you got the boot.




Never too ill to help... she loves the dishes.

A couple hours after coming home from the surgery center with her new baby doll.
My little loopy Milana.

7 comments:

The Family K. said...

Praise God! What a wonderful change. I'm so happy for her and everyone in your family that you get to experience the difference together. I'm thrilled for you, too, that all the stress of the surgery and chasing after Milana has disappeared (well, somewhat...)
Hats off to Milana for being such a brave girl.

lorabelle said...

Sara,
Thanks for posting! When we were on the phone last week, it was so hard to hear eachother because of our kiddos in the background being so noisy. It was wonderful to hear your voice regardless as to if we could really hear what each other was saying! LOL...
So happy that Milana came through with flying colors and has come full circle. It is remarkable how well she fits in with your family and its obvious that you all are adjusting beautifully, you and Donnie too! That is huge Sara because it's just a different ballgame after a certain age and it truly is remarkable the strides that you all have made in such a short time. I looked at a couple of those pictures with you holding Milana in your arms for a long time and I can totally see the bond is seriously there now between both of you. Again, I think that is huge to see this so soon, since she was already a toddler when she came home. Bravo on all the hard work each of you have had to endure to make this happen. I'm serious, each of you!
No one can prepare you, or your children for how big of a change it is when you bring the newest addition home. It changes the family dynamics in a way that it unexplainable, mostly because it can vary so much from family to family. But your bio children should truly be applauded for their nurturing and patience for eachother as well as Milana during this adjustment period. Mom and Dad sure must be doing something right! Maybe you should start traveling state to state and sharing your secrets to raising such an awesome brood.
Smiling for you guys!

Ps, I commented back to you about the drums on my blog. Basically admitting that I wanted them every bit as badly as he did and yes, I've been playing them too!
((HUGS))!

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

WOOOHOOO! Thansk for the update and sharing the wonderful news! I am so happy for her and for all of you :) It is wonderful that yall's faces were the first things she really saw! May I ask what was wrong with her vision? Did she have any problems on a VEG test? I am wondering if there may be surgical hope for Jeremiah with his vision when we get him home! I would love to hear all the details :) I am so thrilled for you that things are going so well :) ENJOY the craziness of life with your amazing family :)

HUGS
Tami
PRAYING JEREMIAH HOME QUICKLY
www.tillGodbringsthemhome.blogspot.com

Ruth said...

Wow! So glad to hear this wonderful news. It must be amazing to see this change in her, virtually over night. So happy for her, and for all of you. Congrats to you all for making it through :-)
Ruth

BabyBain said...

This is seriously one of the best post we have read from anyone in a while. What a brave girl...and momma. We are so happy that all is well.

Shirley H. said...

Thanks for the update!

Jen said...

Sara,
I am so happy for your family and Lora was exactly right when she said that Milana fits perfectly with your family! You and Donnie were meant to be her parents and she was meant to be yours! It's so wonderful that she came through the procedure so well and that her sight was normal so quickly. I know we have been playing phone tag but I hope to speak with you really soon!

Hugs to all!
Jen