Sunday, January 18, 2009

Flu Kit

I didn't post all of my flu kit because I thought you all would think I'm a little overboard. I just can't stand the mess. Colds... there are really no messes there, you just feel yucky for a while and maybe some rouge sneezes. Gastrointestinal stuff is just not cool. So here is the rest of the kit or kit in full if you want to make one.

Per Child:
~1 bucket (or two if you don't feel like washing it each time; I have one to force me to wash it each time)
~2 to 3 waterproof mats
~a few blankets to trade off into the wash when they get sick on them
~a waterproof toddler mattress (Nika slept on it and she is 9; plus when they are sick, they don't really know where they are) or water proof pads on their bed... you'll need extras if you go this route.
~ Hair ties - the secret to a good anti-throw up hold is to put to piggies on the top sides of the heads and then tie them together on top with another tie... the girls can roll around and toss and turn all night and they don't come down.
~If you really don't want to get the others sick... separate the toothbrushes (we use Flippers ) and the toothpaste for the sick one... unless you want to run the top under hot water for 20 seconds... I run the water.
~If you want to get thorough and not have to wash a pillow... they have specially made waterproof pillow cases... I haven't gone that far.

Per house:
~Bleach & spray bottle. Dilute bleach (mix new everyday) with water and leave close to bathroom but safely away from hands. Every time they throw up or have a bowel movement, spray bleach on toilet and let dry.
~Electrolytes... I'm out, have been using Gatorade, and need to go to the store... a challenge when you have sickies... need grandma. Don't be left without this to prevent dehydration.
~Clorox wipes
~Desitin... for any ages, a week of diarrhea is just not cool and your child will be less likely to want to make it to the potty with a sore bum. Wipe it on a tissue first & then apply.
~Disposable gloves... a must. I just think after washing your hands 20 times, hand washing techniques lag, so just use gloves and still wash hands but you'll be a lot cleaner.
~Carpet cleaner and wood cleaner. If you don't have carpet cleaner... Spray N Wash or Shout in a bucket with water works just fine.
~ Lysol... it's easier for quick sprays on toilet, light-switches etc. It's also a good substitute for bleach as it kills the germs too. Don't forget to wash that tub you placed the child in.
~8 loads of laundry! Do that laundry even at 2 am. Contact with fluids is the biggest way to get it and that virus is airborne... so you can breath it in. Towels they use go in the wash.... at least I put them there.
~Paper towels and trash bags to scoop ... yeah. Put that trash immediately outside. You can also put cut trash bags under the bucket area in case of "not making it."
~Lots of rags for scrubbing... you'll be doing that a lot.
~Tylenol... numbs the stomach cramping
~Turn your water heater up! You will run out of hot water.
~Sense of humor... don't forget to laugh during all this. I do think this is a bit much but I have found myself wanting these things when the gastroenteritis hits.

Don't give fluids unless they've pretty much stopped throwing-up for two hours, then just small sips or ice chips for a bit... my son wanted to guzzle so we sat by him and controlled his sips but let him drink as much as he wanted... just slowly.
Also, I've noticed my children get the flu right when they are to go to sleep or an hour or two later. The seem to get sick about every hour on the hour, after the initial first couple times... so just a heads up. By morning, they usually are done... depending on what you feed them that day. Diarrhea is another story... oh boy.... waterproof pads on the beds for a week... just in case. If you have to leave anywhere, bring an extra set of clothes and a waterproof pad for their car-seat... not joking!

If you don't prevent the others from getting it, you didn't fail at all... if you can just move it back a day a too... it's better than everyone at once... that's exhausting. Have fun... stay well! =0)

I've never been a good "shopper" or shoe person; I'm just not terribly girly... although I'm getting there... I wear pink sometimes! I am thrifty, love to recycle and love to find treasures that people are getting rid of. But one thing I am good at is preparing for things. I analyze every bit of a scenario and prepare myself. I can't help it... maybe it comes from being on your toes living in the ghetto... don't know. I'm also good at organizing.... just not when there are kids undoing it! ha ha Then I just close my eyes; I enjoy the mess and Lego's stuck between my toes.

3 comments:

lorabelle said...

Oh My, you are TOO funny! In a seriously good way though...

You can tell that you grew up with a house full of kiddos and that you have a handful of your! I feel pretty safe saying that since I have a house full of my own...
Yep, the flu-kit is a must. I can't say that I have a separate one for each of my little mosters, but I do have one ready and it's a good thing that 3 out of the 4 have rooms that our near eachother just in case... FYI, they have powder gatorade packets out now and they make for easy storage! I even took some with me to Taiwan, just incase I needed them!
Hope that the bug leaves your home soon! Until then keep the bleach bottle at arms reach.
Lora

Tisra said...

Are all the new mommies reading this?! Seriously! This is GOOD STUFF, Sara! I have to say "amen!" to all of this, even though I'm not always so organized that I have it all ready up front. Most of this stuff, though, I can collect rather quickly when i know one of the kids isn't doing well... and I use most of the exact same things. Didn't think of the diaper cream, though- what a good idea!!!

Michele M said...

Hope there is some relief in your house soon.