Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Remembering Honey

Honey with her girls


Honey and Grandma Ethel Christmas/New Years 2007 Grandma Ethel passed away in Feb. Now they are together in Heaven.


This one is so funny! Didn't want your picture taken?

Today we remember Honey Brooke. She went home this day one year ago Remembering Honey a year ago . We miss her terribly but I know it's a lot harder on us than her. I have never erased her phone number out of my cell phone and I wear her clothes, hair-ties, etc. and I feel closer somehow (p.s. Honey, those platform shoes, especially those boots pinch my toes! How did you walk on those things? No pain, no gain, right!). Of course she is very near and watching over us. I was sad that she never met Milana but also know she isn't very far.

Honey studied gymnastics and probably would have been on an Olympic team; she had an accident on the balance bar and never quite regained her former strength. She was a champ on the tread-mill and could run for hours. Gymnastics turned out not to be her calling; it was nursing and she was an awesome O.R. nurse. I remember having Nika and she came up to visit in her scrubs. I was kinda loopey and I couldn't figure out why this scrubbed out nurse was visiting us and cooing all over Nika until she laughed at me and said, "It's Honey, you dork."
Another time, my husband was a teen (also had a mohawk) and walking through the mall with his friends; Honey came walking by and Donnie called out, "Hey Honey!" He ran up gave her a hug talked for a minute and then returned to his friends who thought he was the coolest dude ever for just calling some hot chick Honey and then hugging her. He told them she was his cousin but they didn't believe him.
Oh and that girl got the shopping gene like nobody's business! She LOVES shopping. I see her everytime I watch Disney's Enchanted... Gieselle looks so much like her. I see her in so many places and it makes me smile... I would never want to forget her.

At her funeral, a friend who was a nurse with her talked about how she would miss Honey's odd text messages, like, "I just had a Dr. Pepper"and "I have to pee." She is one of a kind. What an awesome, compassionate Angel God gained this day Jan 20, 2008. We miss you, your daughters and family miss you. We know you are helping the Lord out with some great works. We'll see again and I am so thankful for the time we had here with you. I love you Honey.

8 comments:

Andrea said...

SHE IS GORGEOUS! Inside and Out!
Love that you still wear her clothes!
Very cool. I don't know if I could wear the pinchy toe boots, though...You must walk better in heels than I do.;)

xoxo,
A

BabyBain said...

What a wonderful post. We are thinking of you.

Tisra said...

I completely remember you sharing this horrible thing last year when she died! We've been "together" in this adoption circle for a while, non?

I am sorry that you have this pain of missing her. I understand, and have that regarding my mom. You honor her well, and make us all think that it would be nice to have a Honey in our lives.

The Family K. said...

I'll bet you miss her like crazy. She sounds like such a wonderful person who brought out the best in everyone around her. What a great tribute.

P.S. - can I join your family? The gorgeous gene runs strong.

QingLu Mama said...

What a beautiful tribute to someone that sounds like a beautiful person, friend and mother. I just know she must be smiling down on you for writing such heart warming things.
I am sorry for such a painful loss to you and your family.
Jennifer

Sarah k said...

I remember that day. I was in tears for you hon! I remember you asking me to tell the forum because you were so upset and I prayed for the words that would do this beautiful gal some kind of justice on this earth. I know she was so close to your heart hon... and I know she loved you. I remember watching the little care page your family had set up for her, looking for improvement and finding so many wonderful things to be read about her and her life on earth. She was a special person sweetheart! I love you!!!!!

Sarah k

Steve n Coco said...

I remember you posting about this last year... I can't believe it has been a year. She sounds like quite a gal! I'm praying the God of comfort continues to heal the hearts of everyone she left behind (especially those beautiful babies she left!!).
Be blessed,
Courtney

Louanne said...

I also remember your original post. Your description of her makes me think she was so cool. The text message thing makes me smile.