Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Ringtones, Guilty and Thoughts

What is your ringtone that your husband has picked out for you? My husband has decided mine is Darth Vader. It does make me laugh, although I can't figure out if it's to make others laugh or whether he actually uses it to forewarn himself!

Guilty confession time: When I was living at my brother and sister-in-law's house when I was 18, I loved to go into her bathroom and eat tons of vitamin C she had in a giant bottle under her sink cabinet. Only problem, I ate so many that it started to burn a hole in my tongue and I couldn't eat or taste anything for days. So I am apologizing to you Sara for eating your giagantic bottle of Vitamin C that were soooo yummy.

Only reason I remembered this is my husband just bought two giant bottles of vitamin C... I'm trying not to be tempted again.

Jadyn has me help her in the restroom. The other day she yelled at me that she was not a "Pooh-non-ear." Pooh-non-ear?! What in the world is that? Well turns out she thinks "Please get up on here" is "Please get Pooh-non-ear. "

I think I may have a small variation of dyslexia. I know that dyslexia is a serious disorder and people should not be belittled for suffering with difficulties from it. Having said that, my confusion with words can be quite entertaining and luckily my husband and I have a sense of humor. My words are often flipped in normal conversations, like adopted and orphaned was joined to make adorphaned. I check my cash instead of cash my check. As a child, I wrote things quite phonetically but far from correct.

I rarely hear things correctly the first time people say things, which can result in my staring confused at people saying "what" or I just start giggling. Numbers can elude me. I somehow managed a 4.0 gpa in High School, which still makes me scratch my head. I made it my goal in life to memorize every rule when the brain fog would set in. I actually almost flunked kindergarten! I struggled and worked so hard to become "normal" that when I actually surpassed "normal" and the school wanted me to skip a grade and go into the gifted and talented section, I flipped out. No way was I going to stand out! Growing up in the ghetto, people who stood out were sitting ducks. Now I have no problem being the odd duck.

When I speak on the phone with Sarah K, she usually says nothing and dismisses my word mistakes, but she always hears my husband snickering in the background. She tells him he's not supposed to say anything. I just laugh. Sometimes when something comes out of my mouth and it's blarringly wrong, I freeze and look around to see if anyone has noticed. Hubby always does & we can't help but laugh. It's very odd to have a photographic memory and excellent organizational skills, but my words just can't come out correctly at times.

I never have had a formal diagnosis for any delays and I don't need one because I learned to function with whatever it is just fine and I'm happy. For those who need help, get it; I think I would have loved not having to hide it and struggle in silence. My sisters told my husband on my wedding day that even though I acted ditsy, I really was smart so don't let me "fool him". Truth is... I am ditsy and smart... you can be both.

I never suffered from being teased from my spoken words; I don't think anyone should be teased for their supposed disabilites... I actually think disabilities are a challenge, something that is our very own life puzzle. My son works on speech therapy and some sensory issues. I believe he has a talent that is undiscovered lying deep in these supposed hinderances that will become great assets to him some day. I chose to turn my slight dyslexia into a little bit of a comic relief for myself. It also made me very determined and quite a spitfire. We all have something. I hope whatever hinderances each of you have can be seen as something more grand. Good luck on your puzzle. May your talents be with you. ;0) Big Miss Piggy "Mwhaaa"

2 comments:

QingLu Mama said...

Love the Darth Vader ring tone idea...I have some crazy flamenco song for when my hubby calls, don't know why I picked that but I always know it's him calling!
And it is very interesting about the dyslexia thing...I think sometimes when you excel in some things others come up short. Some people just choose to let the short items lay, and others, like you, choose to find a better way to handle it and push yourself. And yes, your son definitely has some amazing talents that he hasn't identified...yet.
Jennifer

Sarah k said...

Ok You are not dyslexic, ok.. maybe a little, but then so am I! lol.. I do the same thing (which you equally let me feel confident despite.. thank you). I blame mine on age, my insane parents, and of course STRESS! (what stress? Right Sara?)..lol. I adore you, and I love talking to you hon! Sara, Sara, No time is a good time for good byes!..lol. You are my saving conversation most days! lol. And Donny, You da bomb too! lol.... And a shout the the B. Littles... Hey sweeties!!!
And ya know.. Vitamin C can be quite tasty and thanks for the warning about the tongue thing... ew... not good! I am trying to think of some confession I can tell.. Ok. .here goes.. I still sleep with a baby pillow. It is a special down feather one my mom made me when I was 5. It gets really cold and helps me sleep. THERE... how's that for a confession!???

LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!

Sarah k