Thursday, January 3, 2008

The dog smells like cow feet!


My family was eating lunch today and I had to place my puppy Appa in his kennel because he was begging too much. When I did, I noticed how he needed a bath with a "Oh Appa you stink!" My daughter says, "Yeah mama, he stinks like cow feet!" haha I died laughing and said he does. My husband says, "How in the world do you know what cow feet smell like?!" He's been chewing on cow hooves and how funny is it that my daughter made the connection!

Kids say the funniest things. When she started school in first grade, I was a little concerned about her hearing (not being exposed to) words about drugs that she had never heard before. So I started my talk and explained that they have many names that may sound innocent and okay but they aren't. I rattled off a list of a few names when she stopped me... "momma, you forgot pan!" "Oh honey, there is no pan." "Yes there is Mom." "No there isn't sweetie." "Yes, there is. You know like Pots and Pans, Duh!" haha Here I am nervous because this is one of "those" conversations and she turned it into a hilarious memorable moment of such innocence that I'll never forget. She helped open the way to talk to her about so many more things because I realized how easy and accepting these little ones are.

Another funny thing was when she told her principal that she wanted to eat fruit instead of candy because she doesn't want Diabetes. She's 7 and one day asked me what Diabetes was because she heard it on a Disney show once. I explained and didn't think she understood as well as she did. I'm working on explaining moderation now so she understands a little once in a while is okay but not as a meal or all day. I just don't want her to end up Willy Wonka... no candy ever.

My kids love broccoli and in some children's books they talk about hating broccoli. I always change it to love broccoli. Now that my daughter knows how to read, she always covers her mouth with two hands when we get to the "hate broccoli" part. She's afraid she'll blurt out.... It doesn't say that, it says hate; and then the others will start questioning the greatness that is broccoli.

I honestly am amazed at these little people. You know that you will always love your children, but I really like mine too! I mean, I like them as people, as individuals. They are the coolest people I've ever met and am honored to get to hang out with them everyday. One of my favorite parts is that when growing up, I was always a little embarrassed to look a little to long at beautiful people and yet when you get to be a mom, you get to stare at the most beautiful people in the world everyday and not feel weird! It's great! For every mom out there, waiting for it to happen, it will and you will be great. Motherhood is the best... just hang in there, It WILL happen for you.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

My babydog Sedona the shih tzu loves "cow feet" too, especially ones that are SMOKED. She likes them so much we refer to a cow hoof as a "babydog pacifier" in our home. They're great to give her when she's in a car or going on a plane because she'll settle down and chew chew chew for an hour or two.

Sherry said...

Aren't kids funny? The other day I was going through McD's drive thru & got a Sprite. Kobi then looks up & say's "Mama's na-na". (what we call milk) He's only 1 & already making me laugh:)