Monday, July 20, 2009

redirect Baobei



Something this good needs to be shared. =0) Lots of Babies to gaze at in this video with a beautiful lullaby to sing to your children. Judy has this post about her son's 2nd birthday (HaPpY BiRtHdAy Little Keeper of the Cherub Cheeks, Mr. William!) and I had to pass along the sweet song that Judy unknowningly has given to me as a present.

Milana is now curled up in my arms looking into my eyes rocking with me, as we both sing and listen to this song. I've given Milana bits and pieces everyday of things that are inheirantly her's from Taiwan. Sometimes, they make her sad and reflective but she does crave them. She often times becomes more determined to work on family skills and English, after we look at pictures of her past or listen to Mandarin and Taiwanese. She has become very cuddly and loving during these times of reflection and I see this as a good sign. I want her to give her opportunities to process the changes around her no matter what emotions arise. How can she understand her future without understanding the present and past? I may not have all her language nor she mine, but we have a connection deeper and I feel something very strong coming from role playing and keeping her connected to all things Milana Lee Hsiu-Yu... my little neu neu.

Doc update: She has intermittent exotropia strabismus, but her vision is good (she does have it more than 80% of the time). She is a canidate for surgery but we have to wait until we measure her eye muscles a few more times. She has another appt. in two months. Her coordination and running into walls and falling down should improve greatly. Until then, we make sure we get right in her line of vision a.k.a. "up in your face" so she can see us. Finding ways to make eye contact has been a challenge but one we have taken on and seem to finding tricks to get her to focus on us. One thing is for certain: we will give her everything she needs to help her. She is such a joy. Each day, she pulls tighter on our heart strings and has become such an important unique part of our lives. We love you Milana.

6 comments:

The Family K. said...

Hi there, friend,

I'm so glad that the song was meaningful to Milana, too. William and I have shared many sweet bonding moments over it ourselves.

I'm also really glad to hear that Milana's eyes are potentially operable, though my heart goes out to all of you for having to endure the surgery. But what a promising outcome! Please keep us posted as you're able.

Tisra said...

You are AMAZING! Eric and I were just talking about exposing Dorothy to references to the past (music, pictures of nannies, language...) and allowing it to help her process even if it brings sadness at first. And here you are doing it! These "older" girls need a bit more help figuring it out, don't they? So confusing it must be!

Keep me updated on her eyes. Resources abound! What did the doc say about patching or glasses or eye exercises? His experience with it correcting itself (how often does this happen?)? And success with surgery (I know for some, the "repair" isn't permanent)? Oh, I do hope you don't have to walk through surgery with her- but, yes, I know you'll do everything in your power to give her all that she needs. Such good mommy and daddy.

One day at a time, you are bringing this sweet little beauty closer to the full life the Lord intended her to have. She's growing her wings to SOAR, her petals to BLOOM!

Lisa said...

Oh, thank you for this lovely link; ever since our chance encounter in the grocery store and subsequent learning of how to say,"I love you" in Mandarin, I have been keenly aware of how very important even those tiny links can be. Watching his eyes light up when I stumbled through those words was all it took to remind me not just to look at the big cultural moments, but the little ones too. Thank you!

It just sounds like things are going so beautiful with Milana's transition into your family. The love you have for her shines through every post you share and I believe you are helping to give her the greatest gift of all....a strong foundation of unconditional love and forever family. Its so touching to witness.

I pray she has the very best outcome for her vision. Please do keep us posted as you are able to.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

So happy Milana is in your family. She is beautiful! Good luck with the strabismus. Hope surgery goes well...

Steve n Coco said...

Thank you so much for sharing this link!! I can't tell you how many times I have listened to the song now, desperately trying to learn it before we travel. I want to keep that one in my repertoire for a good long time.

I'm anxious to hear about Milana's vision and how she is adjusting. Since eye issues are one of LilyJoy's major SN's, I always like to hear how others are living with it.

Tami and Bobby Sisemore Family said...

Praying for her sweet little eyes and all to come with that :) She is so beautiful :)

Blessings,
Tami