Monday, March 9, 2009

Our Final Will Not Be Anytime Soon.

I wrote this post on paper after the children went to sleep. This will be long. Oh and I have permission to post all this info from my agency so no worries there.

I spent an hour & a half on the phone with the director of our agency & it is not good news. Okay about the first 20 minutes on the phone, I just sobbed as she talked. Our agency was notified that there is a birthparent paperwork issue that needs to be worked out. Court has completely halted for now.

I am going to write some of Milana's birthgiver info because I am comfortable sharing and all that comes with it. I understand fully that it is hers, but I also know that it will be ours as she comes home and we discuss this openly with all of our children. Our children will know that there is nothing to be ashamed of and we can talk about and make it through anything. I am sharing so future families know of the risks associated with such cases ahead of time as well as know agencies' hands are fairly tied when papers are in Taiwan.

Our child's birthgivers are in prison and the govt. social worker needs them to sign papers for court. They have already signed relinquishment papers; this is something else that either the judge, clerk, or SLC needs to submit the complete package for the adoption to be ruled on. This will take time and there are no guarantees. I asked if a good time guesstimate would surpass 6 months. Our director said no and her best guess would be 30 to 90 days... again just a guess.

Now we have to go through the correct channels through our agency, SLC their social workers, govt. social workers, prison workers & court workers to resolve this. We also have to remember that we are bridging a gap between two very different cultures and have to respect their ways of life. The Emancipated American in me has to reign herself in and practice deep patience if we want Milana to come home. If anyone gets involved from the outside and the proper channels are not followed, it could jeopardize our adoption and we don't want that at all. So I am asking any of my well-meaning friends that may know any channels in TW to NOT (I repeat NOT) contact anyone on our behalf. Thank you for thinking of us though. We are confident we are in good hands and SLC workers are definitely on top of this.

I had a gut feeling something was wrong, especially regarding the birthgivers' inability to sign papers. I even wrote to our agency about this deep fear & everything checked out ok at that time, but one guarantee about adopting is nothing is written in stone and we have to make sure we do all things legally and correctly. It took a while to find that problem, but my gut feeling proved to be correct. Finally, I knew I wasn't crazy or delusional about my feeling; something was wrong and now that it has reared it's head, we can work through it. I also know we've done everything in our power to further this adoption (I double checked and asked if there was anything more we could do); our agency is doing everything they can do & now it is up to some very awesome SLC social workers we've never met to advocate for us & get the govt. social worker & birthgivers to make ends meet.

I know we will not see Milana's second birthday and we can go shopping for her and celebrate here instead. I know we will see many friends pick up their children and get to see the miracle of families being made. We know our wait after referral may reach a year or more. Unfortunately, I have no idea how this journey will end, but at least we've identified the problem. It is way worse not knowing what is wrong but having mother's intuition haunt you that something is terribly wrong (which is part of the reason I was angry earlier... to feel that hover over you and you feel helpless to calm it). We hope and pray that it is His will for this problem to be resolved and Milana to be home in OUR home one day, with a prayer too that we will find comfort and peace during this time.

On a very happy note!!! Two lovely friends have just received First Decree and are expected to travel soon!!! CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS on such a huge occasion. May you travel swiftly and safely and have a very sweet homecoming. Remember how blessed and fortunate you are and give your little boys hugs for me. =0) Congrats Mama"M" and Mama "S" (initials in case they prefer anonymity). =0)

19 comments:

Michele M said...

Sara,

Words cannot express how deeply sorry I am for this delay you are experiencing. I truly know how hard this can be. I hope you now have some comfort in knowing what the delay is. I will continue to pray that this situation resolves itself very quickly. Milana needs her mama.

Hugs!

Staci said...

Sara,
I am so so sorry this is happening. You are such a sweet person and to see this happen to you seems so unfair. A mothers intuition is always right...I'm glad the issue has been discovered and I'm praying it gets resolved VERY soon. You are in my thoughts my friend.

Hugs

lorabelle said...

Sara,
It is a good thing that your agency was finally able to walk you through the exact problem here, this means that they are now ontop of it and can channel thru it appropriately. All very good news! I think that it will happen sooner now than later because they at least now know what steps to take and seem anxious now to do so. Thinking of you dear friend, as you journey through this. I am sorry that she isn't home with you and my heart breaks knowing the pain that you are feeling right now...
Lora

QingLu Mama said...

Oh Sara! I am glad you got an answer, although not the answer one could hope for. I wish there was something we could all do, but I am glad you feel assured that your agency is on top of this. At least you have that peace of mind, and hopefully it will get resolved quickly. I know Milana will be home with you one day soon, but I can only imagine the pain and heart ache of waiting for the legal issues to get resolved first. I will be keeping you and your sweet daughter in Taiwan in my prayers.
Jennifer

momwithfaithandhope said...

Sara/Sofa -

My heart aches for you sweetie. You are being so patient, so strong. I know as much as you love watching other's bring home their babies, how hard it is knowing yours is still waiting. I went through the very same thing. I pray for peace in your heart and in your household. I'm glad you at least have some answers, and always trust your intuition! Keep us all posted on the progress. Let's prepare for the wait, but pray for the 3 week turn around! Sending you extra hugs today,
Tiff

Sarah said...

Oh, Sara... I'm so sorry to hear this news, but so glad that you finally have an answer as to what is going on. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa said...

Oh gosh, this is just heart wrenching. You are handling this with amazing grace and beauty and your Mama's heart is shining through this setback! I hope and pray that this issue is resolved quicker than anticipated and that you beautiful girl comes home sooner than later....she will be coming home!
Sending hugs and thoughts your way.....don't be afraid to lean on us....that's what we are here for!
Lisa C.

White's Journey to Taiwan said...

Sara,
Oh my. . . I am so very sorry to hear about this heart-breaking development. This journey to our children is so very hard-the road is long, the path unclear with many unforeseen obstacles along the way. Only the strongest and most determined can seem to go the distance. But, the Lord has put Milana in your heart for a reason. He knows why you are the perfect mama for this child. All I know for sure is that I believe He has a plan from the beggining of time, and He will place Milana in your arms. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. And, I am so very sad and sorry for your disappointment. I'm also sorry that Milana has to wait longer to meet her loving family---in time the union will be such a sweet one.

Love and prayers.

Sarah k said...

Hey sweetie. You KNOW that I will be standing next to you and holding your hand honey. I know this is going to be so difficult and FEW will truly understand your pain of how long this could take.. but you know that I am one of them that can understand. This is just a "bump" so just hang on and keep all hands and feet inside the vehicle at all times until it comes to a full and complete stop. At that time you will take your daughter by the hand and exit the vehicle to the left and continue life. Hang on to that scenario.. it is coming, just not as sweetly or neatly as others we have seen. You and I are just "special" and God thinks you and I can handle more than most...lol. You are blessed and one of the strongest women I know. Honest and true!!! I love you.

Sarah k

Cindy said...

Sara - I don't know what to say. This is heart-breaking and I am so sorry your adoption journey has been so difficult. I will pray for God's blessings over you and your family, and over Milana and her birthfamily. I pray the paperwork that is required will be signed sooner than expected and things can move ahead quickly. I can only imagine what you are thinking and feeling right now. You're in my thoughts and prayers.

Cindy
http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

Tisra said...

Arrrghhhhhh!!!!!

You *sound* like you're handling it okay.

Just know that I'm praying. I'm sure this feels like a punch in the stomach and nothing I say is really going to change it. I'm really pleased that you got SOME information, though.

Tisra
www.bdhq.net

PS. thanks for the birthday call... I feel so loved! :-)

Cheryl said...

Oh my..please know you and your little one are in my prayers. Relieved they know the problem and thankful it can be resolved. Perserverance for the long road ahead...patience for the process....strength to keep believing and hoping...
Know you have follow journey-ers right beside you, we all hold each other up!!!!

Sarah k said...

Sara,
I wanted to add that I believe you are in the right hands for any issue like this. So sit tight and let them handle this. That is good wisdom speaking there.

Sarah k

Andrea said...

OK GIRL-
Sending prayers your way.
I hope that this is resolved soon.
Thinking about you and your ALL of your sweet family.

xoxo,
Andrea

Room for More said...

Oh Sara, I will be praying in the weeks ahead for your case. I know your heart aches beyond what I can imagine for your sweet baby girl!
Shannon

Steve n Coco said...

Sara, dear Sara. Now it is my turn to lift you up as you have me so many times. Please know that I am on my knees praying for you-- His will be done. I don't understand why these things have to happen, but Psalm 84:12 "Lord Almighty, blessed is the one who trusts in you." No matter what happens, He will not fail you. This I know with all my heart.

Mary said...

Hi. I am so sorry about your situation. We had a very similiar situation when we adopted Mya Min 2 years ago. I looked for your email address on your site, but couldn't find it. If you email me at CHecky6504@aol.com I will tell you more and what we ended up doing. Again, I am sorry for the heartache.

Mary
www.heckyadoption2.blogspot.com

Mel said...

Ugh, so sorry to hear that there's this huge stumbling block in your adoption journey. Sure will keep you in my prayers. Remember it's "Godspeed" although we may not understand NOW why HE does things the way HE does. May God grant you patience and peace during this time.
God bless,
Mel

The Family K. said...

Oh... this is heartbreaking news. I'm so sorry for you. I'm glad, though, that they've identified the reason for the delay and that you aren't sitting in the dark wondering anymore. I pray that everything will be resolved as soon as possible and that your Milana can come home quickly. Please keep us in the loop as to how we can best support you in the meantime.