Tuesday, October 21, 2008

My-nah-nah Back

Jadyn went down for a nap today which is hit or miss depending on if she needs one. She was up a bit last night (which left me missing 3 hours of sleep... yup a little loopey today and falling over but surviving) and Kole got up because he had to use our restroom... poor kid was too tired & sat down afterward, put his head on the seat & fell asleep on it... luckily I stumbled out of my half-sleep & went looking for him... took me a while but I knew he didn't leave the house because we have a very loud alarm.

Anyways, Jadyn was crying so hard begging for "My-nah-nah" which is Milana. She wanted her to come home & had to go sleep in Milana's bed with M's pillow too. It was sad and yet incredibly sweet to know she is getting mentally ready for her. She will tell you that Momma and Dada are going on a plane to get her from Taiwan and bring her home to "me." She calls her, Nika's nah-nah? Kole's Nah-nah? My-nah nah?" It's so cute... they'll be 13 months apart so there will be some adjustment of course but with having 6 sisters, I think I can get all the sisters to bond. That'll be an adventure! Kole on the other hand is having a slight "I'm the only boy." sadness... we're working on helping him see a brighter side to that. He's actually not upset other than he has to sleep in a room diferent than the girls... which I've just been spending a little extra time at night cuddling with him until he's feeling completely not alone. My mom calls it Musical Beds (but your bed usually isn't included). ha ha

She also took off today at Kole's preschool... she has been telling me for a while that she wants a teacher. Well today when I was helping Kole line up for his class... she ducked into a teacher's class when the teacher wasn't looking & my back was turned. I turn around & no Jadyn who was just on this slide. Slight panic at this point... all the gates are locked & kids can't get out. I ask the teacher that opened the gate if she saw her. Nope. Then I'm running for the front office, imagining her escaping out to the car looking for me (between someone's legs or something). Nope. Office calls over the intercom, "We have a lost little brown haired girl in the building!" Now I'm panicking... running from room to room, imagining her scared or trying to potty alone somewhere. She's scared of strangers & hates being without me so I'm just like, I have to find her! I know she didn't leave the building with anyone because of the way this place is set up (fort knox). So finally, here she comes, with Kole's teacher who had been searching diligently also & here Jadyn is completely unphased & thrilled that "I have a teacher Mama!" She said the teacher I had asked, did have her and that she somehow stealthly snuck inside and sat down with the group! I still can't figure out how the teacher who knows Jadyn well, did not notice her slide past this very tiny gate that she was guarding especially when she "counts" every kid! Maybe she wasn't good in math? I sadly let my guard down because of the gate that I "knew" was locked. I never imagined a teacher letting her get through though. My fault... even though they are quick... I should have never allowed myself to trust someone else when they open a gate with a two-year old around.

Yikes! If your kid says they are going to "find a teacher", they will. Wow... now when we go to school... I'm guarding the gate!!! And maybe I'll attach a GPS system on the little escapee! Jadyn used to be stuck to my side... she now just graduated into another development department of mine. Kole is just getting out of this phase & learning the importance of telling mom exactly where he is every moment.

I'm so particular about knowing where my kids are that when we go to amusement parks & crowded events, I photograph my children that day and everyday there so I have an exact picture of what they looked like that moment. I write their phone number on their body (which I just found some cool temporary tattoos that list, "if lost, please call..." Then a little bombardment of children books dealing with being lost, treasured toys being taken if they wander, and a little bit of fear of the strangers that are unknown of being kind or not. I teach them to go to a mother with children (more than one) if lost and say they are lost (all uniforms look different & strangely similar to children so telling them to look for a uniform is not always good). Most moms with kids understand (hopefully) and I don't really want my children helplessly going to a lone man and asking for help (not my idea of safe... sorry men). She has no idea what's coming... I don't fool around with this & I let my guard down... shame on me. Even though I only had 4 hours sleep... no excuse. Man, they sure are slippery little ones!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

New to your blog but love to hear family stories.
have a blessed day

momwithfaithandhope said...

How sweet! Sorry you're tired - I am too! I love that the sisters are ready for the littlest one! Tiff

Room for More said...

Okay, I held my breath during that entire story! Whew! I am so sorry you had to go through that fear. Praising God she was safe and sound!

Shannon

Louanne said...

I would have gone into panic mode too, but I am glad that it was all okay. I also love the idea of telling them to look for a mom with children. Thanks for the tip.

Steve n Coco said...

Wow, I would have been totally panicked too, how scary! But really, you can't blame yourself for trusting "the gatekeeper." I mean, that was her job after all! Great idea about finding a mom with kids, I'm definitely going to use that one. Hope you get some sleep!

Ruth said...

Sorry to hear about Houdini (aka Jadyn) - I had one lost at Disney Marketplace in Orlando - nightmare!! Love the tip about finding a mom with kids - it's hard to tell kids who to look for and this is a great idea. Also having a phone number on them. Thanks for sharing your stories!