Wednesday, September 10, 2008

"Blond" Moments


I was having a conversation with my daughter about "blond" comments as she is blond. I was going over situations that happen because of stereotypes that are not fair/equal and are often biased. I was explaining how to handle such things. I made the comment that some people will say that beautiful people are not smart. So hubby (he is the biggest at sweet-talking... I can see through it honey... one day I'll catch ya) says, "See, your mom proves that one wrong." Then he says, "Except with Marx." Very funny honey, ha ha! Which leads to this story.

In our church, we call people by Brother or Sister and then their last name. I was walking in the hall and this man that is a friend of my husband's family that I've seen hundreds of times saw me in the hall. I walked up and said, "Hi Groucho." He had this incredulous look on his face so I corrected myself, "Oh I'm sorry, Hi Brother Marx." He still was looking at me crazy so I smiled and walked away thinking... man he must be having a rough day.

I go over to my in-laws for family dinner like I do every Sunday and tell them all the story. Deer in the headlights! They died laughing and asked "Why I had done that?" and "what did he say?" and "Please say you didn't?" I asked "why, what did I do? Isn't that his name?". "NO!!!!!" they all yelled... "We just call him that because of his mustache... we thought you knew who Groucho Marx was!" Well, I did but because no one told me different and I never heard them use his real name, I thought his parents just liked Groucho. I thought he liked is so much that he grew this giant mustache that covered half his face. I have never lived that down in this family and it's haunted me for 10 years now. Hello, My name is Sara and I am a Word Vomit-aholic.

I have lots more...to be continued. My husband told me after we were married that a few of my sisters kept coming up to him and "warning" him about me. They said, "Don't let her fool you. She is brilliant; she just acts ditsy." Thanks, guys! My husband knows I'm not ditsy... just if I blatantly don't understand something or if I'm socially awkward in certain situations... I just look ditsy. Sometimes if I don't understand what people are talking about (like walking into the middle of a conversation) I do the smile and wave thing. He says he married me for entertainment (says he has never once been bored... is that good or bad?). The circus has arrived. Be forewarned! When I get stressed, I relieve stress by saying the first thing that comes to mind... welcome to my world. P.S. Don't make me the V.P.!

Oh and if you want to cuddle a Koala... The only place I know of is the Currumbin Sanctuary in Australia (Brisbane/Gold Coast area). You can also feed kangaroo although those can beat the tar outta you so don't feed the wild ones... you can also find them all over (remember they have guns the size of your head). One jumped into my husband's car while on a back road and threw the car sideways a couple feet.

Here's a small one (I think this one is a baby red).



This is a bat and it's wingspan is HUGE... I believe these are called flying foxes and I remember my husband telling me they can turn their heads all the way around.

And you can't leave out a spider! This is a huntsman. They are not dangerous. There are tons of spiders there. There is this funnel web spider that has fangs that can bite through your shoes! A bird-eating spider (which can get a 10 inch leg-span) dropped down on my husband's head because he walked through it's web. Crazy Creatures there.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I loved the words of wisdom post and that husband of yours looks like a teenager in that ball cap.
Please make copies of all of your e-mails and comments that were sent to you. you should put them in your adoption journal.
These people are really amazing.
Amazing.

Andrea

Jeri said...

Did I miss something? You went from Marx to marks...in 2 lines. Is someone wanting to go to Australia? I thought we were all headed to Taiwan? or China? :)

Steve n Coco said...

Oh my gosh, you make me laugh! That is a funny story about Marx. Has he ever said anything to you about it? How embarrassing!