Saturday, January 17, 2009

Stomach Flu Part II

Ah yes! More flu fun. Kole was next this week to get the flu although I believe we actually contained the first outbreak. He then got it from preschool. We tried. Poor kid doesn't know heads or tails when he is asleep. I slept next to him on a matress in the living; he was in the hall next to the bathroom on a toddler matress. He kept fighting me when I was trying to help him with the bucket or toliet! I had to hold him between my legs and squeeze so I could help him.

When he woke up, he didn't remember a thing. Nada! He doesn't even remember the bath in the middle of the night. Luckily, I still believe it is the rotavirus and each time you get that, it seems to lessen in severity so he was jumping all over the place the next day. The third day, each kid was exhausted again and grumpy.

Jadyn, Donnie and I, still fighting it and losing.... but we're still holding out hopes for minor symptoms. We have some symptoms and I've been sleeping next to Jadyn just in case (she's on the toddler matress now). Almsot through all 5! I know it's not a serious sickness, just incredibly annoying and messy.

I have a "stomach flu first aid kit"... yeah stop laughing. he he I can't stand the stomach flu... it's awful. So I have big buckets on stand-by as well as water-proof pads ready for each kid in the hall closet.... I used to have them in their respective closets. If the children will not allow you to place a pad on their pillow, put it under the pillow case. The best ones are the ones from the hospitals... medical supply store... they are super soft and don't feel crunchy or make noise. I have hair-ties ready and disposable gloves (they only way to go).

I remove all bedding and stuffed animals and replace with smaller easy to wash blankets. If stuffed animals still get a casuality... in the biggest pillow case they go and off to the wash. Must have tons of cleaners... just don't mix bleach fumes. I'm lysol captain as well. Usually we throw the kid who is sick in the room with me and sort of quarantin them. Don't forget the diet, electrolytes, and a well balanced diet of low fiber foods is best (bananas, rice, noodles, mild and few fruits & veggies) Toast with jelly adds pectin. NO SUGAR... or DAIRY... unless yogurt. Daddy learned that the hard way. Soda, really doesn't do anything, ice cream and yogos... not good on a sensitive stomach. If this is going around here... it makes it's way over to the east coast historically so get-ready but hope for the best. I so despise the flu.

Although all this sickness is running crazy all over, I'm very happy and excited. I don't know; I just can't sleep well at night. I keep thinking any minute, we'll have final. It has to be getting close... I'm too excited for it not to be soon. I'll be checking how ya'll are doing when I get well. =0)

3 comments:

Tisra said...

It *does* have to be soon!!!! C'mon JUDGE!!!!

I think your flu "kit" is a brilliant idea!!! The more kids we add, the likelihood of illness increases and the length that each illness resides in the home also increases. I am much more serious ablout illness than I used to be. Before, I was like- "hey, no big deal! I'll toss Grant in the church nursery and his immunity will bulk up and we'll be fine! *It's Just A Cold*, right?" NOW- with 5 of us in the house, even if it's "just a cold", it takes 3 weeks to make its way through each of us and that is just too long to mess with. Sometimes, in winter now, I don't take the kids to the gym or church nurseries. We planned for a friend to take us to the airport a few months ago and he was sick when he showed up.. we turned him away and drove ourselves and paid the $100 for extended parking. Funny how attitudes change. :-) Hope you all get well and stay well quickly!

Cindy said...

Hope you all feel better soon...I like your flu kit idea, too. Hope you hear something soon on your adoption. . .it would be wonderful if Milana is home before her birthday, even sooner if possible. I'll be praying. . .

Cindy
http://adopttaiwan.wordpress.com

The Family K. said...

I'm so impressed by your flu kit. You could probably market it and make a million bucks. What family with young kids couldn't use something like that?

All that aside, I hope your family gets healthy soon. It sounds like the pits.