Sunday, January 11, 2009

Taiwan Bans Smoking

Help a friend raise money for her adoption: crested-butte-trip-for-sale

Ban On Smoking All I have to say is wow & impressive. Vegas barely agreed to stop smoking in bars/restaurants. You can't smoke in restaurants, bars: yes as long as they don't serve food. "Taiwan bans smoking in all indoor public areas. Taiwanese authorities have banned smoking in all indoor public places in what anti-smoking activists say is a "milestone" in turning Taiwan into a smoke-free island. Smoking had previously been banned in public areas including hospitals, schools, theaters, libraries, office buildings and elevators. Under the new law, smoking is banned in all other public facilities such as hotels, restaurants, karaoke bars, Internet cafes and roofed transport stations. Those caught smoking in smoke-free facilities will face fines of up to 10,000 Taiwan dollars (300 US dollars). "The new law is a milestone in making Taiwan a smoke-free country," said Lin Ching-li, spokeswoman for the non-profit John Tung Foundation, one of the lobbying groups behind the campaign. Airports have closed their smoking rooms and local air carriers are barred from voluntarily selling cigarettes to passengers during flights under the new law. Health authorities estimate that half a million establishments could be affected by the new law, which became effective after its 18-month grace period expired. The amended law passed the legislature in June 2007."

3 comments:

Sarah said...

You know, I don't remember noticing people smoking while we were in Taiwan. In the US there's all those little groups outside of buildings. You know, where you go outside of the mall and you have to walk through a sea of smoke to get back to your car. Well, I just realized that I didn't notice that there. I wonder what percent of people in Taiwan still smoke? I'll bet more chew betelnut.

Staci said...

You are very sweet to think I'm handling the wait okay, but truly I'm going nuts!! I meant to write ya a little note on yahoo but haven't gotten to it. I just want to see a pic of Jake!! When was your last update? I'm totally bummed about the Chinese New Year coming up since everything will be shut down...UGH!! I'm glad to have ya waiting with me :) Hopefully very soon we'll get awesome news!

Mel said...

Oh hi, nice to meet you. Thanks for stopping at my blog and make a comment.
You have a wonderful family. Did you adopt already or are you still waiting? I need to read into your story a bit more. Oh there it says, "waiting to travel", how exciting. Who is your baby? Jesse and I visited Taiwan/SLC in November. There were so many little ones.
Do you have travel dates yet? God bless,
Mel