Saturday, January 10, 2009

Tattoo Evolution












Forgot these last two pics... this was the rest of the full sleeve: one is right after it was done with the painful red-burn look.

First: Help a friend raise money to bring her little Josiah home. She's going to have an auction soon as well. Stay Tuned: Crested Butte Ski Trip

Dig a little deeper! (okay ignore for all you non-Cheetah Girl fans that have no idea what that means). We're digging deeper into the tats today. My husband has basically a tattoo evolution. He says that there isn't anything to tell... no story. Just that he likes art. I have no tats; too much of a chameleon... I like to change things. Now my husband is very expressive as well; we both LOVE art ... he just likes it on his body. Clayton... this post is for you. =0) And anyone else who ever wanted to know.

Okay, he has one on his knee that is always covered (which is my favorite, because it is HILARIOUS). It is this half-bulldog, half gargoyle looking head thing with straining neck muscles. It is so funny. He says this is a good lesson learner for kids on why you WAIT until you are older to get tattoos! He had two small ones on his right shoulder that were covered with a piece that he let a tattoo artist freehand. It is a mix of Japanese style, lotus flowers & kabuki masks with lava. Yup, just art. The one of his left arm was a shoulder piece that evolved. It started in Australia as a tribal dream catcher. Yes, he just walks in there and they start drawing on him with sharpie after he explains styles he likes.

Later (when I was pregnant with Nika & very sick that I spent hours watching him get tattooed curled up with morning sickness on a tattoo chair), he added some freehand work... which included any style that appeased him at the time. Again it's just art, but I believe the description back then was alien bone with cavern (the caverns are colored and the bone was black shaded)... basically you can look into it and see all kinds of things. People always try to guess what it is and depending on how you look at it; you can see whatever you like.

Next comes... the 3/4 sleeve. He decided to add more... this time... all black and shaded and I have no idea what it is. I think there is a skeleton head or two and some more art that I can't explain. Later he finished it to a full sleeve. Which is funny, because I had "rules" when I met him that he must not get one on his face, lower legs or arms or neck... why, because then it is harder for him to work. Now he just wears long-sleeves to work and no one knows.... and it's saved his arms from getting cut by metal (having long sleeves, not a tat... they're not titanium plated tats! Sorry, too many kid cartoons. Spiderman, Rhino.. titanium armour...okay I hear crickets.)

It's funny because people always ask what they mean and we have no answer. He didn't memorialize anyone on his arm; although when he was younger he wanted a gigantic skull covering his whole back (the Exploited Skull for those who know who that is). Thank goodness he didn't do that because that skull is freaky. He just loves art & thinks tattoos are a great expression of art.

When he was in Australia, he met a friend who fell in love with a Papua New Guinea "Princess" (head tribesman's daughter) and she had tattoos all over her face and body and was considered very beautiful. The story goes: he wanted to marry this girl, but was not part of this tribe (he was a missionary from another country) and was not allowed to marry her because she was very "prized". The head chief loved this man and said he could have any of his other daughters. This wouldn't do so he asked to "buy" her. The chief thought about it and asked for an outrageous amount of money thinking this man could never raise the money. So the man left back to Australia and it took him a long long time, but he indeed raised the money. The head chief was so impressed by this young man's determination and gave permission for him to marry his daughter for he must truly love her if he was willing to work that hard for her.

Now, this woman's tattoos were an expression of respect and appreciation of her culture. Even though my husband doesn't belong to that culture, for him, these tattoos represent a respect for himself. He doesn't talk about it this way, but I have known him for 10 years and this is how he is. The man in the story had to respect and honor the traditions of his future wife's culture; even if something is different doesn't mean it doesn't deserve respect, honor and appreciation.

I don't agree for everyone to just get tattoos. My children know that they hurt (feel like really bad road-rash) and they get flaky, colored, scabby skin that peels as they are healing (that sticks all over the shower), that they fade and that some tattoos are a bit ignorant to place on your body. They also know about the regrets people often have after getting them and that even though they are expensive to get a nice piece, they are way more expensive to get removed. It's very hard to go back once they are on. We've always been told that our body is a temple and needs respect. I also know that some like to decorate that temple. I like decorating. I stick to pen on paper as well as an occassional drawing on my hand, and art on my walls and t-shirts instead of my body, but to each their own & I'm happy my husband likes his art... I like it on him too and think they are beautiful. I couldn't imagine naked arms on him... he'd be so white. ha ha

Now, if you ever want to know about piercings... I can explain those later... those can be quite gross (and I'm telling you from personal experience and others' experiences). I have a scar that is quite the deterrent for my children. Not pretty.

5 comments:

Sarah k said...

Thanks for the shout out chick! And the tats are pretty cool in person.. lol.. pictures only do them slight justice. Thanks for sharing the history of them. I love art but am kind of a wuss! LOL.. and I am just not a tat kind of gal.. you met me.. lol.. can you picture that? lol... anyways, fascinating reading. Thank you.. Permanent markers hurt a lot less.. LOL... You go Donny!! When does he get it completed? We are after a full sleeve right? Talk to you later hon... LOVES YA!!

Sarah k
Taiwankiddo2.blogspot.com

Michele M said...

Thanks for sharing the pics. I was with my sister when she got hers and she was in alot of pain from it. They way she described the feeling kinda turned me off, hehe. I guess I just can't commit to it but I always admire everyone else's.

Precious Wonders and Little Monkeys said...

I know, we don't have very many good pics... maybe cause we see them everyday, I guess. I forgot to mention he finished his sleeve. His friend who does the tats wanted to finish the other arm but Donnie says you have to wait a while to try and forget the pain.

The Family K. said...

Yowzers. All of those tattoos must have hurt. But no pain, no gain, right? Every now and then think I might like to get a tattoo, but when I hear about how much they hurt, I wimp out. Can't wait to read more about your piercings.

lorabelle said...

Oh Mom, I bet they don't hurt all that bad; why would everyone get them if they hurt that much? spoken from the mouth of my babe...
Well, then I guess when you are 18 then you can find out on your own Mr. Clayton! But you have to wait until you are at least 18! LOL.
Thanks so much for sharing with us.
He does wear them well, I might add!
So, when are you going to tell us more about the piercings? you have us all curious now!