Sunday, May 10, 2009

Crossing Over Into An Asian World

I am Caucasian. I have lived in many multi-ethnic areas and been immersed in many cultures other than Caucasian. That still does not take away that I "live in a Caucasian World." People look at me and see a white girl. That is an automatic first impression and with it comes stereotypes. I try to erase and blur some of those lines, but it is often not a possibility.

First, understand that I have no problem being Caucasian and it is a gift to be what/who you are and comfortable in your own skin. I love my heritage and all my ancestors have done to allow me the privileges I have (having struggled to immigrate to America). Second, I will never completely understand my daughter's role as an Asian American with a family background of Caucasian and Asian. American... Yes. Asian ... no... not completely. Learn all I can about the culture and beliefs of such a rich history, ethnicity and soulful world, I will do. Teach great values and principles that mirror both American and Asian cultures I can, but walk into a room and be Asian... I can not. That is something she does without me; thankfully she does not do it alone as she will have a whole community of Asian Americans with her doing it everyday in America facing, challenging and breaking down bad stereotypes and building up solid good images. I want to teach all my children to break down walls and barriers. I want them to fully embrace everything about themselves and this world that is lovely and praiseworthy.

Why am I speaking about this. NW Asian Weekly This is a story about one of my favorite shows that is being made into a Movie called The Last Airbender. I love this show. I am disappointed that the cast was not chosen as Asian Americans. Aang Aint White I posted this comment...

"This show oozes Asian flare, from the characters to the culture and beliefs. I've seen every episode with my 4 children and husband. We converted the children to it as well as slyly had our adult friends become hooked as well. I was disappointed and confused when Asian actors were not chosen. Asian American or otherwise, my expectations were to have certain facial traits depicted that quite frankly most often only Asian people have. My daughter often pretends to be Katara, even though her stark blond hair, fair skin and light blue lagoon colored eyes are quite the give away that she is not Inuit. I won't take her pretend play away but I would not have her cast as Katara in a major motion picture either. I have a beautiful Asian daughter with fair skin, dark brownish-black eyes and hair (and a slight upturned upper lip and gorgeous moon shaped face) as well and I could never imagine having her cast as my Caucasian child if a movie was made about our lives as my ethnicity is Caucasian. Can you imagine a Viking not played as a big old Scandinavian brute? To blatantly ignore my daughter's beautiful Chinese features in a movie depicting her life would be appalling, the same as ignoring the ethnic makeup of the characters of Avatar.I understand "modern" movies having role variations of ethnicities, but in a movie that clearly accentuates Asian culture in every aspect, it is wrong to take away something that represents Asian culture at her best, Her People. Asian actors need more representation than being cast just for their ethnicity as well, but to go as far as taking Asians out of their own roles is morally indignant. " (Ok, I put 4 children because I mentally think I have all 4 home, so it should be corrected to say 3 at home but oh well).

Which brings me to this ... Angry Asian Man. I have been reading, keeping an eye on how it "feels" to be Asian American. Imagining what my daughter would feel like everyday while I run around slightly oblivious in my "white world". Of course I am not oblivious, and expect comments and can handle them tactfully, but I can't take for granted some of the "comforts" I've been allotted having "white skin". I just want to make sure that I don't "have a wake up call one day" that knocks me out. I want to make sure that I stay aware of any issue that could face any of my children at all times.

I needed to rant a moment about my favorite show and disappointment over not seeing positive Asian American role model characters to share with my children besides the cartoon characters. I needed a release from remaining mum on a subject that many consider "taboo". I do think that the actors that were chosen more than likely can play the roles quite well; but I know there are quite a few Asian Americans who could also have filled those roles and made a positive contribution to the view of movies cast with a majority of Caucasians as lead roles. Caucasians no need to get your panties in a bunch either... I still love ya'll too. We can share. =0)

One good step forward. Disney is finally creating a movie for African American Princesses everywhere, The Frog Princess. Let's hope this movie really does move us forward. The Frog Princess

We are all one world and all neighbors of one big community... I just hope that one day, this world can play fair in this big old sandbox called Earth.

8 comments:

Ramona said...

I have never heard of this show, The Last Airbender. So it's an Asian show with no Asian people in it? I can't even fathom that. I'll definitely check out the show, though.

Kudos for Disney! Mulan and now the Frog Princess. Guess somebody HAS been listening!

Happy Mother's Day to you!

momwithfaithandhope said...

This is one of those posts that makes you think. As an Asian American woman who works outside of the home in a very "Caucasian World" I will be candid in sharing with you that I have counted numerous times where I've been around a board table and I've been one of few females present, and always the only non-Caucasian appearing person. Have I felt out of place. Certainly. But like you I'm proud of who I am and I'm comfortable in my skin.

You are such an "aware" Mama, and you'll raise Milana with such love and "awareness" of who she is on the inside that she too, will learn to be proud of who she is, who her family is (both genetically and forever), and will be comfortable in her skin!

The Family K. said...

Wouldn't life be so much easier if we didn't have to deal with the stereotypes associated with our skin color? You're one step ahead in thinking through all these issues and how they may affect your daughter. I pray that she, as well as all of our kids, will grow up confident that God really outdid himself in making them.

Lisa said...

Deep and beautiful thoughts....
I hope the paperwork snag gets worked out and quick like!! I'm thinking of you...
Lisa
www.destination-taiwan.blogspot.com

Terry said...

A good thinker of a post. Hats off to you! Very well put, and I can't wait to see the new Princess & the Frog movie!!

Sorry to hear about your paperwork glitch, you have the patience of a saint! Hope it gets resolved soon, will keep you in my prayers and cross my fingers too!

Cramber said...

Great post! I think a lot about what it will be like for my Taiwanese daughter, and what I can do to help her feel comfortable in her own skin. I'll tell you, one of the most interesting experiences I've had was taking a trip to Japan - because suddenly I was a caucasian minority surrounded by an asian majority. It was a very interesting feeling, as I'm not used to being a minority when I walk around. I would recommend it to anybody (plus it was an awesome trip, lol).
-Amber

QingLu Mama said...

Great insights here, Sara! Being aware of these stereotypes is a huge step towards helping our children feel more comfortable with who they are. (no matter what their race is- your blond beauties may be stereotyped also...)
Since becoming Mama to Simone I definitely notice how few characters/models are Asian and would love to see more. Especially when the role calls for Asian Americans to play the parts!

Louanne said...

Oh I have a lot to say on this, but you summed it up very well. I may have to do a blog post soon about some stuff that has been said to us recently.