Saturday, May 9, 2009

Kole can read?!

Kole has started running, but it hasn't been a slow turtle race. No. He is giving Usain Bolt a run for his reading money. I can't believe how fast this little guy is absorbing this challenge. We started off noticing him reading as we drive by Sub shops and pizza places, etc. Next came the street names, which are not easy for half the adults here (Decatur... give it a try). So we have always let him read some words as we read his bedtime stories. Now he is reading them to us! He can read big words like Rainbow, Excited, LiftMaster (garage door opener)... that was last night; he was in the garage and asked how long we've had the liftmaster! ha ha

So I wanted to see his level of reading... I just have been thinking, "Where are you boy and how am I going to know where to start to challenge you this summer?" So I pulled out an old Ginn systems reading book I had in second grade and had him read about 3 pages. I only needed to help him with one to two words per page. What? I'm in awe, in shock and can't help but giggle with amazement. Where did this come from? I have no clue. I wouldn't give me the credit at all; he has somehow pulled off what is so difficult for so many people in the world before reaching kindergarten.

I am just reeling at this revelation and I can't figure out where to go... I'm not a teacher so I don't know the level signs of what to look for. Since he can read and write and acknowledge all numbers etc... how do I keep him challenged, not bored but not overly exerted with his brain power/ I'm at a lost and still in awe by this little guy.

I am in awe of all my children for all their separate talents... you all amaze me at so many different levels and points in your lives. So if you read this when you are older, don't think for one second that I haven't had so many points of amazement's in each of your lives. You are all uniquely amazing and I promise you ALL shock me everyday! ha ha

p.s. In case you are wondering about pictures... hubby built a new pc and we haven't loaded my camera software as well as any old pictures we have... so I am shorted a 1000 words per pic. Bummer.

edit: Kole was in church with Grandma and the teacher was reading and he called her out... "That's not what it says." She was so surprised and of course had to run to Grandma and ask if he can read. Yup... looks like editing stories is gone out the window and now comes the days of stopping mid-story to explain why or why not we do or do not do these things. hee hee

4 comments:

The Family K. said...

Wow, Kole! That's awesome! I'm thinking he'd really enjoy The Magic Treehouse book series. At his level, he might blow through one book per day, but they're fun stories and pretty age appropriate.

I like the new blog look, btw.

lorabelle said...

WOW! What a smarty pants!
Good for you Kole!!! My boys like The Magic Treehouse series too. They also like Junie B.books.
Have a great Mother's Day.

momwithfaithandhope said...

Way to go Kole!!! You have such talented and bright stars for children. What a blessing!!

Ruth said...

Wow! What a brainiac! When I saw the title of the post, I thought it would be a funny/cute story of him trying to read, but nope - he's doing it, for real! You go big guy!!